OK, now that we understand the critical elements of our recipe, let's start to put the pieces together by answering a few questions.
1. What are your training goals and objectives? Are you training for general fitness or preparing for a world title fight? Sit down and really think through your answer to this question. It is important to identify your training goals. Your goals will play a major role in constructing YOUR routine. For example, if you are fighting for a world title, you must dedicate a significant amount of time to training. To be the best, you must train the best.
2. What is your current level of physical fitness? Are you beginning an exercise program for the first time? Are you an experienced athlete?
3. How much time can you dedicate to exercise? How many days per week? How many hours per day? Take out a piece of paper and right down your available training times.
4. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Perhaps you possess awesome strength but lack stamina. Perhaps you can run all day but lack the strength to perform 10 pull-ups. Identify what you are already good at, and what needs improvement.
5. The next step involves selecting various forms of training to include in your workout. A few options include:
Each form of training is important, but you will place more emphasis towards the areas that relate to YOUR training goals. For example, combat sports such as boxing are primarily anaerobic in nature. It would not make sense for a boxer to spend excessive amounts of time dedicated to aerobic training. Likewise, a marathon runner may not require as much strength training and anaerobic conditioning as a combat athlete.
Was this article helpful?
Bodybuilding requires commitment. It is a totally different lifestyle that entails letting go of old habits and adopting new ones. You cannot go into bodybuilding and be half- hearted about it. It is a test of strength, self-discipline and willpower. Start only when you are sure you can commit time, effort and energy. Learn tips like this one and 99 more.