Do not massage the affected area.
Do not rewarm with stove or fire: a burn injury may result. Loosen constricting clothing. Avoid tobacco products.
d) Treatment of Superficial or Deep frostbite. Any frostbite injury, regardless of severity, is treated the same - evacuate the casualty and re-warming in the rear. Unless the tactical situation prohibits evacuation or you are in a survival situation, no consideration should be given to re-warming frostbite in the field. The reason is something-called freeze - thaw - re-freeze injury.
• Freeze - Thaw - Re-freeze injury occurs when a frostbitten extremity is thawed out, then before it can heal (which takes weeks and maybe months) it freezes again. This has devastating effects and greatly worsens the initial injury.
• In an extreme emergency it is better to walk out on a frostbitten foot than to warm it up and then have it freeze again.
• Treat frozen extremities as fractures - carefully pad and splint.
• Prevent further freezing injury.
• Do not forget about hypothermia. Keep the victim warm and dry.
• Once in the rear, a frostbitten extremity is re-warmed in a water bath, with the temperature strictly maintained at 101°F - 108°F.
Was this article helpful?
Knife Throwing Techniques of the Ninja. span stylecolor: 000000Do you want to learn the art of throwing knives? Ever wondered how it is done to perfection every time? Well here is your chance. This book contains well over 50 pages of detailed information and illustrations all about the art of knife throwing. This intriguing book focuses on the ninja's techniques and training. This is a must for all martial artists and anyone wanting to learn the knife throwing techniques of the ninja.span